Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Jeanne DeHaro (Guest Patient Author)

As one of millions of Americans about to face changes in health care and how it is provided, I'm very unsure, but keeping an open mind, hoping that this huge, complicated plan will benefit all. The status quo is not OK, and change is always certain to travel a bumpy road. I listen patiently to all of the mixed messages among politicians, and honestly, I keep my mouth shut hoping to latch on to some clear stream of enlightenment from the media or experts decoding the changes. I simply am not clear on the facts. Who really is? Truly? Be honest. I'm still waiting for clarity. However, I do have some clear wishes of the plan.

First, I would like to see health care simplified for the elderly. Every year they go through reapplication processes , often having to change providers because of income changes slightly above or slightly below qualifying status for one plan or another or the plan. They have deadlines to meet that make them insane, and sometimes kill them financially if they missed a window of application. It has to be gentler and easier. It is confusing as an advocate for an elderly parent, and I can only imagine how confusing it is for the elderly themselves, especially those without advocates. I do not look forward to getting old, simply due to insurance "baggage" that elderly have to deal with. There is a lot of stress and depression among elderly suffering with these constant worries of having needs met without having to always live on the edge of fixed incomes. I believe the elderly have to make decisions that adversely affect their health because of restricting financial choices. This may be way overly simplified thinking, but once you have reached a certain age, you have earned the right to your care...hassle free, perhaps, just free.

I also hope the plan provides services for preventive health. Down the pike it would cost a lot less to pay out for services that keep us healthy rather than have to make us well after we are sick.

I hope the plan will allow patients and doctors to make choices based on patient needs, not a prescribed set of procedures/mandates that often cost way more and are not always needed. What a waste of tax dollars!

I also truly see the need for doctors and other health care providers to start making house calls, especially for those at high risk. More and more people are getting ill just from going to clinics and hospitals for routine care and coming home with resistant illnesses or illnesses they did not have before they went. Without intent, these places have become breeding grounds for super resistant bugs that are killing people.

I would also like to see routine nursing care brought back into our schools...something funded outside of school budgets that is a mandated right. I see great possibilities for coordinating community services of a preventative nature (intergenerational) right on school sites.

I cannot say I know a lot about what is coming. What I do know is what I hope it can be or become.

2 comments:

  1. Being on Medicare myself, I found the basic coverages (Part A and B) to be fairly simple. But when it comes to the supplemental insurance it is extremely complicated. I remember receiving my Medicare Benefits Book and was perplexed by the number of options. And it was difficult to decide the best. Thankfully, I am on disability and qualified for state Medicaid, which simplified my decision. I feel for the elderly who have physical and mental limitations due to disease and medications. Many times they are also neglected by their families and left to make complicated medical decisions alone.

    As far as the fixed income goes, I was shocked to learn from a nursing facility lately that the elderly who enter nursing care facilities must spend all their savings (including their home etc.) until their funds are gone. Then they must pay all but $45 a month to the care facility from their Social Security check. That is barely enough to do anything outside of basic existence. Talk about a fixed income!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for authoring on this blog. I appreciate your thoughts about improving health care and hope you will comment on other postings in this blog or other blogs about health care. I share many of your wishes.

    ReplyDelete